Welcome!

Frog cooks anything you like!

Sunday 23 February 2014

Ramen Review #11: Saimin Chicken Flavour

It is time for something different. Something new, something frog has never eaten before!




I grew up with mostly two brands of instant ramen: Nissin and Wei Lih. We would have Nissin ramen in either chicken or seafood flavour and if my parents bought Wei Lih it would be onion flavour. It was much later that my husband introduced me to Wei Lih's beef flavour and only recently have I tried Nissin's many other flavours. Today something totally different: Saimin Chicken Flavour.



The packaging says it is made in Japan, however the brand uses typical Chinese illustrations... This is slightly confusing... Looking up the brand on Google does not help much, as saimin is also name for a Hawaiian noodle soup dish. Inside you will find one soup powder packet and a generic looking dried ramen.


The soup broth smells like sweet spices, like cinnamon or other spices you might find in sweet food items. The ramen is not bad and has more bite than Nissin's ramen. It is harder and less soggy than Nissin's, but it is more oily. As most instant ramen is fried, the oily part does not surprise me. Some brands just drain more oil or know how to hide the oiliness. The broth is bland and has a typical mild chicken broth flavour to it.

Not a spectacular ramen, but also not bad. I prefer my noodles a bit more soggy, so I'll stick to Nissin for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment