Welcome!

Frog cooks anything you like!

Sunday 7 October 2012

Green Onion Pancakes

Its a beautiful sunday and I was staring into my half-empty fridge. I have ingredients for tonight's homemade pizza dinner and also the stuff I need for monday's beef stew. And then I found some green onions that have been sitting in my fridge for almost too long... What to do with some green onions? Green onion pancakes!





Green onion pancakes aren't really pancakes. You don't make a batter and drop green onions in it to make pancakes like most of us know them. In Chinese they are called green onion oil cookies (very straight translation) and that is what they are. Its dough made from flour and water with green onions and oil in them baked in a frying pan. They make a very nice salty snack.

Its a really easy recipe:

Flour
Hot water
Oil
Green onions
Salt

1. Cut the green onion into small pieces, about 3 mm slices.
2. Add hot water to the flour to make a dough.
3. Roll out pieces of dough as thin as possible
4. Cover the dough with oil, salt and green onions
5. Roll it up.
6. Curl the dough into a snail and flatten the snail.
7. Bake on low heat till both sides are nicely browned.

There are no set amounts for the ingredients here because you won't need any. When mixing the dough add water a little at a time and when you add too much, add a little flour.

I used a mix of olive oil and sesame oil in my pancakes. The sesame oil has a nice fragrance and mixes well with the taste of the green onions. Try dipping pieces in some soysauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment